You can start your volunteer work now for a minimum stay of 1 week up to 3 months or longer. The Community Care Centre operates in the extremely poor, informal shack land township of Missionvale in Port Elizabeth, South Africa – part of the wider Nelson Mandela Metropole. It was founded by Sister Ethel Normoyle, from humble beginnings, under a tree donated by a resident of Missionvale. It has grown into a Centre that provides love and care for the poor and destitute, with particular emphasis on those living with HIV/AIDS.
The project is run by a non-profit organization and is therefore very dependent on volunteers and extra help. Volunteers will explore the warm-hearted place here and give something back to the poorest and getting insights in the daily life of people with issues as poverty and HIV/AIDS, being able to make a small difference.
Your role as a volunteer
This project is so diverse and challenging. You will often deal with the local community and get acquainted with the circumstances in which 70% of the people in South Africa live today. As a volunteer you should be prepared to face misery and poverty. In this case it is very important that volunteers are independent and mature individuals. There is so much to do for a volunteer. The Community Care Centre offers the following programs where volunteers can help out and support. For example:
- Primary school: the kids (aged between 5 – 12) need support with reading, writing, social skills, sport. And of course some personal attention.
- Nutrition unit: distributes food parcels to those families on the Care Centre. And help the people ach day by providing them with a half loaf of bread and a scoop of nutritious soup powder making it possible for them to go home and provide a meal for their family.
- Child support and development: A program of activities is offered each day to the kids, to make sure to stay off the streets and being able to play safely. The kids can chose from a wide range of activities like listen to stories, learn to play the drum or cultural dancing.
In General give love and attention to the people, especially to the orphaned and vulnerable children.
The Community Care Center focuses on the people of surrounding townships and offers a variety of services; a primary school, afterschool programmes, a clinic, vegetable gardens, feeding and clothing programmes and much more.
The support and help of volunteers is much needed and welcomed by this community center that focuses on helping the very poorest. Missionvale offers a lifeline for those who are in dire need; a daily meal, clothing and some dignity in their struggles for life. Many people are HIV/AIDS infected and there are high rates of alcohol abuse and domestic violence.
Full orientation and induction to your project and the general local context upon arrival.
Accommodation and Transfer
You will have accommodation in one of the volunteer houses we offer where you will spend your time with other international volunteers. This room will be either private or to share with maximum of one other volunteer if needed. The volunteer houses are usually shared with local and international volunteers and students and often have a swimming pool, cleaning services and are close to facilities such as the beach, bars and restaurant and shops. If this accommodation does not suit your preference you do have the choice to stay with a host family as well.
Your transport is provided and you will be taken from and to the project on a daily basis. The vehicle is also there for weekly shopping sprees and visiting the supermarket. If you want to go out for a drink or dinner by yourself you can use local cab services for minimum costs. We will have weekly possibilities to visit the cinema or other group activities.
Guidance and Supervision
Daily guidance will be given by the coordinators of the different units. There will be also an on-site volunteer coordinator who is 24h and 7 days a week available.
A typicall week at The Community Centre…
Because it is possible to combine several programs, you as a volunteer can help out in different ways. You can help with the distribution of food, the children in the school, do sports activities, go on home visits in the township, help in the gardens and much more. So there is a plenty of things to do, because in the whole project are 6 units included:
- Primary School
- Nutrition Unit
- Eye Clinic
- Child Support and development
- Clothing Warehouse
- Community Gardens
As weekends will be off, things can be focused on enjoyment and visiting the beautiful places in and around PE. We can organize trips to Addo Elephant Park, Kragga Kamma Safari Park, Seaview Lion Park, Baviaanskloof and many more options. Just keep in mind that extra costs apply for any weekend outings.
You can take a surf lesson, do a diving course, go on a Whale and Dolphin cruise or just sleep late after a bit of dancing in the local clubs; all up to you. The Volunteer Coordinator also needs some time off so weekends (outside organized trips) will be focused on relaxing and doing your own thing, maybe even some washing…
Costs & inclusive / exclusive
- 1 week R 3,200
- 2 weeks R 5,800
- 3 weeks R 8,200
- 4 weeks R 10,600 All extra weeks will be charged R 2,000 per week.
If you would like to make a donation toward the project, your donation will not only be helpful for the support of these projects but will also be used for the maintenance of buildings in the area, food for children and for the organization of activities.
- Information and assistence before arrival
- Pickup upon arrival and drop off at the end of your stay
- Welcome pack with information guide, Free SIM-card, maps etc. upon arrival
- City tour and introduction programme
- Onsite volunteer coordinator 24/7
- 3 basic meals a day
- 15% direct donation to the projects needs
- Transfer to and from project daily
- offer of weekend trips and outings (extra costs apply) to enjoy yourself on the weekends
- Accommodation in volunteer house close to the beach (seven nights per week of volunteering booked)
- Private Luxuries (snacks, cooldrinks, alcohol etc.)
- Costs for weekend outings to safari parks etc.
- Air tickets
Volunteers can start at any given time (minimum stay: 1 week)
Please read our terms and conditions to inform yourself about our booking procedures.
Kindly note that the prices and accommodation are subject to change based on date, availability and special requests.